With summer travel in high gear, what are the best travel reward credit cards for 2018?
HOW DO YOU BEGIN TO EVALUATE A CREDIT CARD FOR TRAVEL BENEFITS?
If you are selecting a new card ask, “What is the card’s ‘total value?’”
- Welcome bonus? Points earned after reaching minimum spending level (ex: $3,000).
- Travel Perks and Points.
- Lounge access.
- Trip cancellation insurance.
- Car rental insurance.
- Other credits such as TSA Pre-check.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO BUILD UP POINTS OR MILES?
- It depends on your types and amounts of spending.
- Spending with co-branded card vs. general (Ex: Delta/Visa vs. American Express).
- Bonus points: 2x, 5x, 10x for spending with an airline, hotel, or restaurant partners.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE TOP-RATED REWARDS CARDS?
- American Express: Platinum
- Chase Sapphire: Preferred or Reserve
- Citi: Premier
- Hilton Honors: Aspire
- Capital One: Venture
AND DON’T FORGET, THESE ARE CREDIT CARDS!
- Annual Fee could range from $100 to $500.
- Credit score: don’t collect credit cards.
- Pay off your balance every month. Or incur interest charges! 15-30%