Earth Day aims to raise awareness of ways to lessen our impact on the environment. But what about your wallet? Here are some ways to raise some green from going green.
WHAT ARE SOME EASY WAYS THAT GOING GREEN CAN HELP SAVE SOME MONEY?
- Unplug: Phantom power – the electricity your electronics draw costs real money $100/year. Unplug devices or use an on/off power strip.
- Light bulbs: $264 average light bill. Replace old light bulbs with fluorescent, save $200/year.
- Hot/Cold: turn the heat down in winter. Turn up the AC in summer. Use fans. Insulate doors and windows. Save 1% per 1 degree.
- Wash: wash in cold water save electricity. Hang dry.
WHAT ABOUT WAYS THAT RECYCLING CAN ACTUALLY HELP OUR WALLETS?
- Recycle your electronics: some websites and stores will give credit for your old electronics
- Tap your water: stop buying cases of bottled water. Use refillable bottles. Knox water rates good. If necessary, add a water filter to your faucet.
ANY OTHER WAYS TO HELP THE ENVIRONMENT AND SAVE?
- Shop smart: between 25-40% of food purchases are thrown away. Make a shopping list. Cook creatively.
- Cars: compare the purchase cost of hybrid/electric cars to the total cost of a gas vehicle.