Fun Facts about Stock Ownership
Owning shares of stock in a company makes you an owner of that company and some companies treat their shareholders like real owners – giving them discounts and rewards on products and services.
HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF SHAREHOLDER PERKS…
- Kimberly Clark and 3M: Gift boxes with an array of products
- Berkshire Hathaway: Discounts on products
- IBM: Shareholders store with discounts
COULD SOME PERKS COME IN HANDY FOR PLANNING SUMMER VACATION?
- IHG: Hotel discounts
- Cruise lines (Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean): Onboard credits
HOW EASY IS THIS? CAN YOU JUST BUY ONE SHARE?
In some cases, you have to own a minimum number of shares and maybe a holding period or not have the stock in a brokerage account:
- Ford: “Friends and Neighbors” pricing
AT THE END OF THE DAY, STOCKS ARE PRIMARILY FOR INVESTMENT.
We buy stocks for dividends and the expectation of stock appreciation over time. Do your fundamental research before buying a stock. For diversification, efficiency and to build portfolios: most of us buy mutual funds.