On Sunday, August 27th, Paul Fain, CFP®, president of Asset Planning Corporation, visited WBIR-TV in the 7 a.m. broadcast to discuss the best cities for retirement. It may seem that all retirees go to Florida, but not necessarily. Financial website WalletHub recently published its list of the 25 best U.S. cities for retirement. (Interview transcript):
PAUL, WHAT FACTORS DID WALLETHUB CONSIDER IN RANKING U.S. CITIES?
WalletHub reviewed four overall categories to determine the best major U.S. cities in which to retire:
- Quality of Life
- Health care
AND HOW DID THEY BREAK DOWN EACH CATEGORY TO DETERMINE THEIR RANKINGS?
- Affordability: cost of living, taxes, and long-term care costs.
- Activities: recreation, theaters and galleries.
- Quality of Life: weather, crime rate, air and water quality.
- Health Care: number of physicians, nurses and hospitals.
WHAT WERE THE TOP SCORERS IN EACH CATEGORY?
- Affordability: Laredo, TX
- Activities: San Francisco, CA
- Quality of Life: Honolulu HI
- Health Care: Sioux Falls, SD
AND THE TOP RANKED CITIES OVERALL?
Florida DID dominate but our southern friends in Atlanta made the Top 5!